It Starts with a Deep Thought
It's just so damn hard to think straight these days, especially when everything around seems so distant and fast-paced. Time really flies so fast that in a snap of a finger, you wouldn't realize that everything happened a few seconds ago became a part of history.
Just a few months ago, I started pondering on what Mom said one Monday breakfast. She said something that all of a sudden I felt like I was being transported back to the time when I was in college. It was a piercing yet inspiring thought though. She wanted me to think about it over and over again. She wanted me to be reminded of it every time I make crucial decisions.
Mom has never decided for me. Except of course, when I was a minor and didn't have that perfect state of mind yet to make up my own. I guess I was too dependent on my parents, especially on my Dad. He was too uptight and strict.
When I was in 6th grade, I was invited to a party at a nearby fast food restaurant, just across from my grade school. Since Dad and the school guards were friends, he gave them specific orders not to let me out of the school gates. (Come to think of it, this is what school guards should do. It's part of their job.) He even had me call my friend, the birthday celebrant, asking her if she could bring along some packed food with her for me when she comes back to school. If Mom hadn't told Dad that it would be too embarrassing on my part, I wouldn't have attended that party. So with a little persuasion from Mom, Dad agreed, asked me to hand over the phone to the guards and asked them to let me out. I felt so free when I was out of the school gates. I never had the experience of going out somewhere by myself alone and that was the first time. But, I never felt bad with Dad's decision. After all, he just wanted to protect me and make sure that I am always safe. Even until now.. (Thank you, Papa.)
So Mom has always been very supportive with whatever I come up with. She has always served as my guide, leading me to the path she and dad wanted me to take. But she never makes decisions for me. She encourages me to make my own decisions, make my own mistakes and learn from them. I often ask her, "Why does life have to be so hard to live with?" Without much hesitation, she would answer, "Life seems so hard because of what people make of it. Living here on earth is a challenge God gave to His people. And He gave His people choices on how they should spend it. God wants us to be contented with what we have. He provides us with our everyday needs-not so much, not so little but just enough, enough for us to live within our means.."
I guess I might not able to figure out what Mom really means. Her words always strike me like lightning, minus the thunder of course. I find her taking things lightly as "though she were on a bed of roses". I still need a whole lot of time to ponder on her words. And I guess this is what I should do every day. And, I guess it all starts with a deep thought.
When I was in 6th grade, I was invited to a party at a nearby fast food restaurant, just across from my grade school. Since Dad and the school guards were friends, he gave them specific orders not to let me out of the school gates. (Come to think of it, this is what school guards should do. It's part of their job.) He even had me call my friend, the birthday celebrant, asking her if she could bring along some packed food with her for me when she comes back to school. If Mom hadn't told Dad that it would be too embarrassing on my part, I wouldn't have attended that party. So with a little persuasion from Mom, Dad agreed, asked me to hand over the phone to the guards and asked them to let me out. I felt so free when I was out of the school gates. I never had the experience of going out somewhere by myself alone and that was the first time. But, I never felt bad with Dad's decision. After all, he just wanted to protect me and make sure that I am always safe. Even until now.. (Thank you, Papa.)

Comments
Post a Comment