Quiet Chaos: Journal Entries from a Nurse With a Lot on Her Mind vol.2
Entry 6: The Name That Lingers
It’s only been two days.
And yet that near-miss call is still echoing in my mind—
The way a name, so familiar and so specific, almost escaped at the wrong time.
A thumb too quick. A screen too small. A moment too close.
There are too many names that resemble his.
Too many little reminders scattered where they shouldn't be.
But maybe it’s not just about names.
Maybe it’s about the space someone quietly begins to take up—
in thoughts, in reflexes,
in that brief breath before you double check what (or who) you’re reaching for.
Some names aren’t just names.
They’re reminders.
Of steadiness. Of presence. Of how a small moment can leave a lasting mark.
Entry 7: Cancelled call at 01:46
It wasn’t even my phone.
That’s what made it worse.
A wrong swipe. A too-familiar name.
And suddenly, a call I didn’t mean to make.
Thankfully, it read “cancelled.”
No sound. No connection.
But the rush still hit just the same.
I checked. Then checked again.
And I left it there—visible.
For hours. For too long.
Because it wasn’t mine to erase.
But eventually, I did.
Quietly. Carefully.
The way you hide something you can’t quite explain.
And now it’s gone.
But the moment?
Still humming, quietly, in the space where it almost happened.
Entry 8: Echoes of a Name
The other night, two patients in the unit had the same first name.
His name.
I wasn’t their assigned nurse—just overseeing the whole unit.
But I still had to say it.
Twice.
And suddenly, I felt twelve.
Not because of the name itself, but because of what it reminded me of—
that quiet, fluttery feeling when you like someone just a little too much to say their name without thinking about it.
I said it professionally, like nothing was wrong.
But inside, I was cringing at myself.
Because even though it wasn’t him,
my brain still whispered, “You said his name.”
No one noticed. Of course not.
But I did. And that was enough to make me go pink inside.
Entry 9: The Safer Decoy
There’s someone else—someone I let people think might be the reason I smile.
And maybe he does, a little.
He’s kind. Familiar. Easy to be around.
He makes me laugh sometimes.
But that’s all it is.
Because the truth is, the flutter doesn’t belong to him.
I don’t feel the shift around him.
The nerves. The carefulness. The way I brace myself before a conversation.
That belongs to someone else entirely.
Still, it’s easier to let people assume.
To nod when they tease.
To hide the deeper current behind a “safe” name.
So I let the wrong name take the fall.
He’s a decoy.
Not because I want to lie—
but because the real reason feels too raw and harder to explain.
So I smile. I play along.
And in the quiet, I know where the truth really lives.
Entry 10: The Contrast
It was brief.
Kind, composed, and simple.
A compliment I didn’t expect.
A moment that passed without ripple.
I said something I immediately wished I’d phrased differently—
not because it was wrong,
but because I wasn’t ready to be heard in that way.
Everything about it was light.
Easy to leave behind.
No stillness. No weight.
I noticed that.
Not because anything was missing—
but because I’ve known what it’s like
for something quiet to linger
long after the moment ends.

Comments
Post a Comment